Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Netflix Thinks I'm on Crack.

I love Netflix. Netflix is the best thing to ever happen to anyone who has a summer vacation. Why? Netflix is a nearly unlimited plethora of movies and TV shows that you've never even heard of, and they're all ripe for the taking. Mailing DVDs? Sure, that's a great way to get the movies you actually want to see, but my favorite part is definitely the streaming service.

I mostly love the streaming service for two reasons. First of all, the suggestions are nonsensical, to put it nicely. You like Crazy Zombie Bloodbath 3? Let us suggest March of the Penguins. (That's based on a true story, I swear.) It also suggest titles I've not even remotely heard of before. Thankskilling? Sure, I've got an hour to kill! (That's also based on a true story. One of my guy friends made me watch it. It's REALLY NSFW...) In this way, Netflix forces its users to find things they like outside of the normal comfort-zone genres. The suggestions are also based on user input. Since I share a Netflix account with my entire family, our suggestions are everywhere. Scooby Doo, Zodiac, Cannibal! The musical!, Ong Bak: Thai Warrior, they're all mushed in there. Granted, I use it the most, so a lot of the suggestions are relevant to me. When my 20-something brother tries to look up racing and action flicks, though, he's forced to drudge through swamps of stand up comedy and gory operas just to find one flick that he may or may not like. He'll watch it anyway, though, because really, what loser uses the search button?

The other reason I love the streaming service? Instant gratification. When I see a movie about zombie grandmothers, I want to watch it and I want to watch it NOW goddamnit! With streaming, I click play and go. No screwing around here. Instant gratification.

Netflix is my best friend, whether it's wasting all of my exam study time watching Reaper, or whittling away the summer with Hey Arnold, It's like getting to be a kid again. I can effectively say "Hey world, fuck off, I'm choosing to watch TV over deal with your kind of shit!" It's awesome being unemployed... for now.

Unrelated: I want more music festivals! NPR music was amazing and streamed the Sasquatch music festival, which was easily the best three days of my almost summer vacation. The bummer is, since school ran a few days over, (snow days, you guys are dicks.) I only got to be lulled to sleep by the Death Cab for Cutie set... I want summer music festivals where I can hang out all day and night in jeans and a tank-top and listen to music, whether I'm at the festival itself or not. (Ideally, I would be at the festival, but the soonest and nearest one to me is the famous Musikfest... Arrogant worms, I think YES.)

Anyway. More live music. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment